Sericulture Department of Churachandpur District is headed bu a Technical Officer of the rank of Assistant Director, with its office located at Bijang, Tuibong, District Head Quarter. He is assisted by technically trained technical and ministerial staffs, i.e Superintendent, Inspector, Farm Overseers, Rearers, Senior Accountant, UDC’s, LDC’s etc. The Government Farms are scattered in different places within the District. The main activity of the department is implementing the various Central sponsored scheme for the development of Sericulture in the district for the production of Cocoons.
- Manipur Sericulture Project. (MSP)
- Catalytic Development Programme. (CDP)
- Integrated Sericulture Development Programme. (ISDP)
OBJECTIVE AND GOAL OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- Identification/Selection of progressive farmers/Rearers.
- Development of Systematic plantation of Silkworm food plants, i.e. Mulberry, Muga, Eri & Tasar
- To increase the production of quality cocoons.
- To create self employment to rural people.
- To improve the Socio-economic condition of the poor people.
- Development of systematic plantation of Silkworm food plants.
- Hygienic rearing of Silkworm races and maintenance of favourable environment climatic conditions, i.e. Temperature, Humidity and Light.
- Sufficient supply/distribution of Seedlings/seed of food plants for increasing the leaf yield.
- Distribution of rearing appliances/equipment to the beneficiaries.
- Distribution of disinfectants/chemical for hygienic rearing.
- Construction of Rearing houses.
- Importing training to the beneficiaries.
- Supply of Spinning/Reeling machines.
- Supply of weaving machines to private weavers.
- Farm/Field visit.
ACHIVEMENT DURING 2017:
- Training: Training Programme for the beneficiaries was arranged for importing technical knowledge occasionally by the staffs of the department as well as Scientist from Central Silk Board (RTRS) Chingmeirong, Imphal.
- Chawki Rearing: Quality and Disease Free laying were processed for NSSP, Banglaore, all together 7000dfls were distribution to the Private rearers within the District.
- Distribution Of Saplings: 1000 numbers of sapling each were distributed to 50 benefeciaries during the planting season i.e. June – July for transplantation in their farms.
- Field Visit: Field visit and proper supervision of the farms were carried out by the technical staffs to various farm during planting and Rearing seasons.
- Distribution of Spinning Machines: Motorise spinning machine were distributed to three beneficiaries under Catalytic Development Programme for self employment.
- Construction Of Eri House: All together Ten (10) nos. Of Individual Eri Rearing House were constructed for ten beneficiaries.
- Prunning of Host Plants: Prunning of the Silkworm host Plants i.e. Mulberry, Eri, Muga and Tasar was completed in all the Foverment and Tasar was completed in all the Government and private farms during the month of December, 2017.